AI] "I'm Sticking With You" is a song by the influential American rock band The Velvet Underground, recorded in 1969 but left unreleased until it appeared on their 1985 outtake compilation album, VU.
Vocals: The song is notable for featuring rare lead vocals by the band's drummer, Moe Tucker, alongside a dual-lead vocal track with Lou Reed.
The track gained widespread modern recognition after being featured on the soundtrack of the 2007 film Juno.
Tone: It features a remarkably sweet, naive, nursery-rhyme-like melody paired with whimsical lyrics like, "I'm sticking with you 'cause I'm made out of glue."
dj] Sweet, and faux-naif; from a band which, in its early days, was often ferociously paraphiliac.
In tone, it recalls the song “I’ve got a brand-new pair of roller-skates; you’ve got a brand-new key”; which, despite its obvious possible lingam-and-yoni interpretation, remains chastely faux-naif.
Every so often, a singer who has explored many darksome wild places, will come out with an isolated song, minimalist in musicality and faux-naif in theme, as though taking a break from his own hectic history.
As, Bob Dylan, "Build me a cabin in Utah / Marry me a wife, catch rainbow trout / Have a bunch of kids who call me ‘Pa’ / That must be what it's all about".
One noontide, shortly after that song came out, and in the refectory of Winthrop House, anno domini 1970, sitting with a Cliffie whom I rather wistfully fancied, I fleetingly (and, as I thought, identifiably intertextually) expressed a kind of yearning to go out to Utah.
“UUUUUUU-YOO-tah?!?!!!!” the minx replied, for whom Utah, even in metaphor, could never be other than flyover territory (and she, without a window-seat). “R - U - effing -- CRAY-Z ?????!!!!”
And that is why we do need the faux-naif.
No comments:
Post a Comment