Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Memento Mori




Im Grunde glaubt niemand an seinen eigenen Tod; oder, was dasselbe ist: im Unbewußten sei jeder von uns von seiner Unsterblichkeit überzeugt.
-- Dr. S. Freud

Las ich auf der Sonnenuhr die Worte:
Jede Stunde schmerzt;  die letzte  tötet.
-- F. G. Jünger

‘Tis often asserted, by those psycho-philosophically minded, 
that,  while we   all of us   pay lip-service, pro-forma, du bout des lèvres,
to the proposition that All Men Are Mortal
(that major premise which -- Socrates being a man -- doomed Socrates)
yet we   none of us, individually,
can imagine our own.

We-elll I’m here t’ tell ya, that that is not the case, at least for this philosopher.
I can quite clearly visualize  the circumstances of my own personal hypothetical death.
I shall die (if I ever do die), in precisely one of exactly three potential ways:

(1)  Getting run over by a pie-truck.
(2) Falling down a manhole (carelessly left uncovered).
(3) Getting bonked on the noggin by an anvil  plummeting from an upper floor of a skyscraper.

So long as I stay away from these, I should be safe.
 
*
Für psychologisch tiefgreifende Krimis,
in pikanter amerikanischer Mundart,
und christlich gesinnt,
klicken Sie bitte hier:

*


"O Death" (Ralph Stanley)
"O-oh Death -- won't you spairrr me over till another year."

No comments:

Post a Comment