Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Carl Sandburg’s Rootabaga Stories: A Centennial Assessment


Someone in a newspaper mentioned Rootabaga Stories, and I say to myself:  Why not just up and read this book?  So I go to the library and – next thing you know!
So I look at this book, at how nice it is and all, and set aside a time for crying, that I never did read this book as a child, nor was it ever read to me; although I’d heard tell of it.
            But then I read on a little more, and the next thing you know, an entirely different kind of idea is inside my head.  Which is:  that this book, no way it should be placed into the hands of any child beneath the age of forty-five.  He reads it, he grows up a Surrealist!  You talk like that book there, nobody can’t half understand what you’re saying, ‘cepting the Potato Face Blind Man – and he’s asleep!
            So no:  Your little ones want something to read, you give ‘em something straightforward and sensible, like Moby Dick.

[Like another slice of that pie?  Click here:
http://worldofdrjustice.blogspot.com/2012/10/c-sandburgs-rootabaga-stories-verdict.html
Go ahead! 'Twon't bite you.

No comments:

Post a Comment